Sunday, April 01, 2007

Jacqueline Cass's Queen's Guide Award


I forgot to mention that I was a guest of Jacqueline Cass at the presentation of her Queen's Guide Award on Sunday 25th March, at the Kennet Leisure Centre in Thatcham.


I first met Jacqueline at another Mayoral engagement, the Spring Charity Fundraisers AGM - they kindly donated the money for the first two sports wheelchairs for the Thames Valley Vikings wheelchair basketball team. Jacqueline set this team up from scratch as her community activity for the Queen's Guide Award. Not only did she fundraise for the necessary wheelchairs, but she also had to train as a coach. I had a go in one of the wheelchairs on Sunday - they are incredibly manouvreable! I played 'stuck in the mud' with a group of children - only a few were disabled - and they definitely had the advantage over the likes of me. I know a number of the children who play in the Vikings team, as they are or were in the Speenhamland School Keevil unit. My mum was also invited as she has known Jacqueline for several years, as an assistant to the Rainbows unit in Thatcham where they both help the leader, Anne Eldred.


Jacqueline is an exceptional young woman, and we are extremely fortunate to have people like her in our midst - she has already made a very positive difference to so many lives.

No comments: