Sunday, April 15, 2007

Tea with Vernon and Karin Vidamour


Yesterday afternoon I had tea in the Mayor's Parlour with Karin and Vernon Vidamour. They are the couple who won the auction for tea with the Mayor at the recent Spring Charity Fundraisers Ball. Neither are local, Vernon is from Blackpool and Karen is Swedish - but they both have a keen interest in history and wanted to find out about the tradition of the Mayor of Newbury. We looked at the lists of previous Mayors in the Council Chamber going back 410 years, and I explained about the change from Borough to Town Council status, and the current responsibilities of Newbury Town Council.
They even ate a slice of my home made cake (Stuart wouldn't risk it!)-then Karin told me she is a chef! My attendant Carol did a sterling job of keeping the refreshments coming, and two and a half hours seemed to disappear in no time!

2 comments:

vernonv said...

I would like to once again extend our thanks for saturday we enjoyed the afternoon thoroughly. Also many thanks for the warm welcome that you gave us and the cake was good too!

Unknown said...

I think people need to have a look at his history