Monday, September 25, 2006

Naomi House Open Day


After the Borders opening I drove down to Naomi House near Winchester with my friend Sally-Ann. Neither of us had been before, so we weren't sure what to expect.

Naomi House is a hospice for terminally ill children, which serves a huge area of central southern England, and is funded entirely by charitable contributions; - the majority raised by members of the public. Primarily they offer respite for the families of very ill children, but they also offer support and bereavement counselling for parents and siblings.

The hospice is nine years old and purpose built in beautiful landscaped grounds. It is superbly equipped, with hydrotherapy pools, hoists in all the bedrooms and an amazing adapted bathroom. And yet the 'medical' side of it is very discreet, as they are very keen to make it as homely and comfortable as possible for the families who stay there. Full time fundraiser June Tabor showed us around and introduced us to many staff and volunteers who are all lovely people. I can believe they bring real joy to children and families who have such a relentlessly tough time otherwise.

It made my day when one of their fundraisers came up and asked me if I was the Mayor of Newbury, as she recognised me from my blog!! Thats a first.

Naomi House has just started its own lottery - £1 a week payable by direct debit, with a much better chance of winning than the National Lottery - see lottery@naomihouse.org.uk
Pictured are June Tabor on the left and Sally-Ann on the right outside the front door.

No comments: