Monday, September 25, 2006

Opening Borders Bookstore


Friday 22 September was the day I opened the new Borders at the retail park. A brand new store - when I arrived the staff were making the final touches to it - polishing banisters etc. It was decorated with colourful balloons and looked perfect.

At 10am I went to the front doors, where 130 children from Greenham Court School and St Gabriels were waiting to come in. The store manager addressed them all briefly, and I then welcomed them before cutting the ribbon and making a quick sidestep before being mown down by children charging in with balloons flying! I then leisurely looked around at the vast array of books and the Paperchase franchise of gift wrap, cards etc. I chatted to the directors of retail and property about the business - this is store number 38 in just 9 years, and they are aiming to have 100 in the UK. It is an American chain, which might explain why they have an instore Starbucks! The following day Adam Ant dropped by to do a book signing.

No comments: