Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mayor Making 2007


It doesn't feel like a year has passed since I became Mayor (actually it isn't a year, just 51 weeks!), but today was Mayor Making again, and I donned the robe and chain for the last time and processed with the Councillors from the Town Hall to the Corn Exchange for the time honoured tradition of Mayor Making.
I still find it hard to deliver a speech in front of so many, but I got through it. By the time we exited stage left to change robes I felt quite light - not just the lack of heavy robes and chain, but the end of the responsibility too. I sat back on stage without the robe and hat for the first time in eleven consecutive Mayor Making ceremonies, and then processed back to the Town Hall for the last time. It is a sad day for me, to be breaking off my connections with the council after so long, but I also feel relieved, and I'm looking forward to having more time for myself and my family.
I'm pictured with my successor, Councillor Adrian Edwards - the robes look a little shorter on him!

1 comment:

Dilgo Marvick said...

Very happy to discover your blog, madame le maire.