Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Document House


Last night I was kindly asked to open the newest bar in Newbury, Document House in Wharf Street.

I'm in the photo with my husband Stuart on my right, and friends Ian and Rachel Haslam, and Seona Myerscough on the right. We were all thoroughly impressed - having waited years (literally) for the building works to be finished - what a transformation! Stuart remembers going there to drop off and collect legal documents when it was the local DX (document exchange) - hence the unusual name; back then there were holes in the roof and pidgeons roosting! The decor is stylish whilst sympathetic to the lovely old building. The upstairs room is especially worth a visit, with its atmospheric beams and comfy leather sofas.

The manager Peter Byrne and the chef were very welcoming, and the food was delicious. There is a unique 'grazing' menu, which is designed for sharing. The food is varied, eg sushi, scallops, crispy duck parcels, and rare roast beef. I don't think there is anything else quite like it locally, so I really hope it will be popular. It was refreshing to be in a smokefree environment, where you could hold a conversation around the table without shouting.

And yes, - I did go in the famous double ladies loo, - but by myself! Poor Rod (my attendant for the evening) was teased that he'd have to go in with me to keep an eye on the chain!

1 comment:

Lowly said...

how refreshing to see a Mayor of Newbury so up to date with a blog spot!

talking of document house, i don't know if you can give me the number. i live in tokyo and it's not listed on Google.