Friday, June 09, 2006

Priors Court School Walkathon

On this glorious June day I was fortunate to pop out of the office for a while to visit Priors Court School near Cheiveley. The school is in beautiful grounds, approached down an avenue of my favourite tree - beech.

Joyce, the civic manager kindly drove me there, and we met up with Anna McPhearson who took us to the walking track where the students were ready to start their three laps. I cut the ribbon to start them off (a bit of a thrill as it was my first ribbon cutting exercise!), and they were away.

I chatted to Anna and PE teacher David Neal while the students and their helpers walked and ran round the track in the sunshine. All Priors Court students are autistic, and many different techniques are employed at the school to assist with their learning. The track was marked up with different coloured posts to show the way, and after each lap the children stuck their favourite pictures (mostly Disney characters) to colourful cards to illustrate their progress.

They presented me with a beautiful basket of bizzie lizzies and fuschias grown from seed by the children. I'm looking forward to visiting again at their open day on Sunday.

No comments: