Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Mike Caldwell's Funeral

This afternoon I attended Mike Caldwell's funeral at St Nic's church. I had only met Mike a few times, but in his job of director of communications at Vodafone, he has been a well known face in the town for many years, and very supportative of the Mayors office.

I found out much more about him today; how he'd been very happily married for 30 years, with three grown up children - one of his daughters gave a lovely eulogy; how he had a good social life with numerous close friends; and of course about his impressive career - starting out with a night shift in a bakery.

St Nic's is big, but it was full. He had been ill, but his death must have been a shock to many - he would have been 53 today.

1 comment:

Paul Walter said...

I agree Gill. Although I was on the opposite end of the discussion about the Vodafone HQ, I found him a very decent and affable chap who was, of course, highly skilled at communication.