Saturday, July 15, 2006

Territorial Army Recruitment Day


I was back at the Denison Barracks this morning for the recruitment day. The guests were given an overview of how the TA at these barracks fitted into the big picture - their headquarters are in Ewell in Surrey - before being let loose to try our hand at forklift truck manouvres and shooting.

I was unable to stay the whole day, which was a shame as I missed out on the forklift trucks - but I did try my hand at the shooting, as you can see in the picture. I wasn't really dressed for lying on the floor with a large gun! They lent me a camouflage jacket, but I still didn't quite feel the part. I took my turn alongside Graham Hunt, the Chief Exec of the Town Council, who brought his wife and youngest daughters. The girls were too young to shoot (you have to be 14), so they took the pictures for me instead. Sad to say, my target shooting left a lot to be desired, but I made the soldiers laugh when I pointed out I only hit the target when I was aiming for the one next to it!

No comments: