Sunday, October 22, 2006

Education Project


I started writing my education project for primary children before I became Mayor, but only really finished it this week. I have produced a folder for each primary school in the parish (there are nine) with chapters about Newbury's history, geography, what the Town Council does, what Town Councillors do and the history of the Mayor. There are activities for each of these, varying from discussions to colouring and cutting out paper dolls of the Mayor, Town Crier and Mace Bearer (pictured).

I launched my project this week to coincide with Local Democracy Week, because one of the purposes of the project is to educate children about the importance of democracy, and being involved in the local community. The majority of the project will be available on the Town Council website (www.newbury.gov.uk)so it can be used by other groups if they wish. I have written to each school asking if they would like me to visit and talk to pupils about being Mayor, and the Town Council, either at their school, or at the Town Hall.

No comments: