Saturday, October 14, 2006

Michaelmas Fair


On Wednesday evening I went to open the Michaelmas Fair with Theo, Louis and their friends. It had been raining extremely hard on and off all day, so we went prepared with our boots on, but luckily the rain dried up as we walked to Goldwell Park from the Town Hall.

We were hosted by Charlie, the chair of the London and Home Counties Region of the Showmans Guild, the organisation that has been running the fair for many years. The Michaelmas Fair is the last surviving annual fair in Newbury's calendar, and has been a fixture since medieval times, though there isn't much that is medieval about it these days! It looked spectacular with a huge number of exciting rides.

Charlie and I made brief speeches to open the fair, then I rang the traditional bell to declare it open. I then chose a number of rides - most I was too scared to go on myself, but they were hugely enjoyed by the youngsters who followed me around. I went on the dodgems (twice!)and the big wheel. Afterwards we were the guests of the guild at a reception in the Northcroft Centre.

No comments: