Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Christmas at Basildon Park


Last night I went along to the Christmas drinks do at Basildon Park with my friend Sarah. There was homemade mulled wine and mince pies, and an opportunity to see the house dressed for Christmas. The Mayor of Reading was there and the deputy Mayor of Wallingford who I met for the first time. Lord and Lady Iliffe were also there, but I didn't meet them. The house belonged to their family before it was given to the National Trust in the 1970's.


I enjoyed looking at the Pride and Prejudice exhibition - the Keira Knightly film may not have been quite as good as the BBC production, but it still rates in my book, and it was a small thrill to stand where Matthew Macfadyen had stood as Mr Darcy, when the house was used as Netherfield Hall. Its a sad fact of life that many middle aged women think they are really Elizabeth Bennett in disguise!


Pictured is Sarah with one of many beautiful Christmas trees at the house - all donated by Lord Iliffe.

No comments: