Friday, December 15, 2006

Fair Close Christmas Lunch

Yesterday I was the guest at both sittings for the Fair Close Christmas lunch. I sat at the top table and chatted to a couple of the trustees and discovered that Fair Close is an independant charity, set up by local people about 35 years ago. That probably explains why it is so popular and well thought of - they have a large canteen kitchen that feeds several hundred people every lunch time both at the centre and as meals on wheels. Some of those involved in running the centre have been there since it began, it commands great loyalty from its staff and volunteers, and is a very friendly place.

This was my opportunity to taste the cooking I had heard so much about - a traditional Christmas dinner, which tasted home cooked, I even ate the Christmas pud, which is a first for me!

I managed to chat with many of the several hundred people there, after the food was eaten. They all had a jolly time - I hope my generation is as easy going when they reach that age!

No comments: