Friday, December 08, 2006

Mayors Benevolent Fund Distribution Panel meeting

Yesterday I sat down with the Mayor's Benevolent Fund distribution panel, to go through the application forms received from individuals within the parish. This is the first time I've done this, but I was ably guided by the regulars, who prefer to remain anonymous. It took us several hours to go through the huge pile of applications, and it was quite moving at times reading the forms where people mention their personal circumstances. It certainly made me feel more grateful for the things I take for granted. Many people in Newbury exist on the minimum state handouts, though we are always considered to be a very prosperous town.

Most applicants were disabled; single parent families, or pensioners. It is good to be able to give them small sums of money at Christmas time, though I know the amounts given (£15-£30) are small, I'm sure they are put to good use. I'm grateful to the local companies who donated this year - the Mayor's Benevolent Fund is a very personal way to enable local families to have a more enjoyable Christmas.

No comments: