Saturday, December 02, 2006

Corn Exchange Panto art work

On Thursday evening I went along to see the murals designed and produced by local artist Sue Rollings and eight children from Thatcham Park and Calcot primary schools. This year's panto is Dick Whittington - special to me as I compared myself to him in my Mayor Making speach, having arrived in Newbury exactly twenty years earlier with all my wordly possessions in my rucksack, and no home or job to go to.

The art work starts with the transformation of the box office into a cosy living room complete with flying ducks on the wall - very cheesy! Then progressing along the corridor to the auditorium with various modes of transport that might be taken by a modern day Dick to get to London. There are beautiful collages of London, and under-the-seascapes, treasure chests, and of course the plague of rats and mice. Dont miss Tom the cat taking a trip home on a Sealink Ferry!

I was very impressed with the quality and quantity of work done by such young children; and they came on Saturday mornings for several months to produce the work at New Greenham Arts. They were each presented with certificates by Brian Bedwell, chair of West Berkshire Council, and a DVD of the making of the murals as a souvenir.

No comments: