Sunday, May 21, 2006

Mayor Making

Today was the day - fortunately I slept well after the exertions of last night's Eurovision Song Contest party!

I drove to the Town Hall at 9am, in the drizzle. I was tuned to Kick fm and heard myself in the bulletin saying how nervous I was about making my speech - thanks for reminding me, me!

Val was in the Mayor's Parlour and gave me a few last minute tips. Carol, the Mayor's Attendant, helped me with the Mayor's tricorn hat - it was too big so we put some bubble wrap inside the brim. We joked about popping it to make it fit.

We formed up for the procession to the Corn Exchange - its times like these I'm grateful that Newbury has a very compact town centre - as we didn't get too wet! Once on the stage I looked about and started to spot so many people I knew in the audience. Fortunately everything went without a hitch - and before I knew it I was in the wings being 'robed up' while Speenhamland School Choir entertained the audience; aptly, one of their songs was 'The sun will come out, tomorrow'.

I got through my speech - it was a relief to be there after the build up, and it went OK. In fact I thought everyone made a good speech. We processed out in the rain back to the Town Hall for refreshments before the church service. Andy Warren, my chaplain for the year did me proud at the church with a very funny, yet thought provoking address.

The best bit of the day though was back in the church hall for refreshments - I greeted everyone as they came through the door - there seemed to be so many people! There were official guests, from the army and the police, our MP Richard Benyon, the High Sheriff of Berkshire, Mayors of Hungerford and Thatcham, and members of many of the town's organisations. Then there were loads of my relations - the first time since my wedding 14 years ago that both sides of the family had got together. I was thrilled that so many friends came - particularly the great turn out from my book club! Everyone tucked into the buffet laid on by the ladies of the British Legion.

Eventually everyone left, and my relations and old school friend from Kent came back to our house for tea and cake. Sadly I missed the Mayor Making in Thatcham, but Alex came along to mine, and I hope his went just as well. I'm sitting here now, and the sun has come out at last!

No comments: