Thursday, May 25, 2006


Yesterday evening I attended the West Berkshire Learner Achievement Awards at Newbury Rugby Club. I was honoured to present the awards for outstanding achievement, determination, inspiring others, returning to learning, information technology and older and group learners. I was in awe of the way some of the winners had overcome obstacles such as ill health and family commitments to attain their qualifications - it is lovely to celebrate success with such worthy winners!

I was particularly pleased to bump into a contingency from my charity, the Community Furniture Project, who had come along to support volunteer-turned-staff-member, Terry Stares, winner of the Voluntary and Community Sector Tutor award. Terry has devised his own unique teaching materials and is working wonders teaching basic skills to volunteers at the project.

This morning I went along to the Castle School open day and had a fascinating tour of the school from headteacher Kerry Gray. I'd not been before, and was impressed with the enthusiasm and caring attitude of the staff, and the superb behaviour of the children. It is a lovely site, and there are some beautiful gardens - I encouraged Kerry to enter Newbury in Bloom!

This afternoon I caught up with Joyce (the Civic Manager) to go through my diary and appointments, and also met with Angela Turton who will be directing my charity concert in October. Then I went out in the sunshine(!) to the market place and presented Cullen Beckwith a certificate to mark 35 years of service to Newbury Market, as he retired today. Steve Brind presented him with a wonderful compact fishing rod, a present from all the market traders, I think they will all miss him.

No comments: