Monday, May 29, 2006

Newbury Fringe Festival 2006



Yesterday I attended the Fringe Festival. I visited the Art on the Park event first - this year there were artists the full length of the railings along Park Way. Some lovely pictures, jewellery and pottery. Fellow Councillor Gina Houghton introduced me to some of the stall holders and members of the Art on the Park committee.

I then went to see a group of saxophonists perform outside the library, followed by the Icknield Way (I think!) Morris Men. Just after this photo was taken, they performed a dance around me and kept swiping me with hankies - and for a finale they lifted me off the ground!

I also had a go at the children's mural in Victoria Park, and visited the stalls of the Bobtails lacemakers, the Spinners, Weavers and Dyers, and the drumming workshop. Highlight for Stuart, and my attendant for the day Barry, was learning to play the penny whistle in the Desmoulin Gallery. We also called in at the Corn Exchange Balcony Bar where an excellent jazz band was in action to a packed audience, and the Kennet Centre where crowds were gathered to watch a variety of dance displays - we saw a bit of belly dancing and disco.

From lunch time to early evening there was music in the park by the bandstand - after officially opening the Fringe, this was kicked off with the ever-popular Time Spanners Samba Band. The organisers and participants must have been relieved that the day stayed dry - it was a great event, and enjoyed by many, well done!

No comments: