Sunday, November 19, 2006

Beenham Band - The Big Country

Last night I went with my friend Rachel to the Corn Exchange to see the Beenham Band in concert. We both know Eleanor Brooks, a band member and headteacher of Speenhamland School.

I thought the band looked very professional with their dinner jackets and black evening outfits against a black backdrop twinkling with stars. The programme had an American theme and included some Rogers and Hammerstein, Leonard Bernstein and Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, which included a tour de force from guest pianist Robert Thompson.

My favourite pieces were the music from The Incredibles by Michael Giaccino (great fun) and the finale which was the theme tune to the film 'Big Country' by Jerome Moss - a really iconic piece.

I was most impressed as the band originated just seven years ago from the small village of Beenham, and there were 37 musicians on the stage last night playing to a very high standard.

No comments: