Saturday, November 18, 2006

Coffee morning for the over 80's parcel fund


Every year the Mayor of Newbury hosts a coffee morning for the Newbury Weekly News over 80's parcel fund. Adrian Martin, the MD of the NWN came along and told me that the over 80s parcel fund had been going for so long, it used to be called the T and T fund - tobacco for the men and tea for the ladies! These days the paper raises £16,000 each year to fill a bag with goodies for those over 80 in its area of circulation.

We had a steady flow of visitors throughout the morning - they even ate my slightly overcooked rock cakes! I went outside a few times to persuade shoppers to come in for a tea or coffee, and several people stopped me to say how lovely the Market Place looked after the extensive re-vamp.

Amongst the customers were Brian Burgess and Alex Payton, the Mayor of Thatcham, and we were entertained by Trevor Brown who recited a number of 'Clerihew' poems, and I responded with some Spike Milligan! After coming home I found Alex had created his own 'Clerihew' and emailed it to me, so here it is:

Newbury, near Thatcham, has an ancient politics.
Of the four hundred or so mayors there must have beensince 1596
The one that is current
Is Gillian Durrant.

No comments: