Monday, November 13, 2006

Remembrance Sunday


Fortunately the day was sunny and mild. It is mind boggling to think of the thousands of people around the country as they prepare for their remembrance parades. Hundreds take part in Newbury's parade and service; it seems to get bigger every year, though sadly there are fewer and fewer veterans taking part. It is good to see so many young people involved (including my sons, who paraded with their scout troup), I recognised many as they marched past - I hope they know the significance of the service, I always find it very moving.

After the silence I layed the first wreath, and my son Theo would have laid the last one, but unbeknownst to me he was in the back of an ambulance having almost passed out!

Fortunately Theo was fine after a rest, but I processed on to St Nicolas' Church for the service and didn't find out about his adventure till afterwards. The service was lovely - some of my favourite hymns, and my chaplain Andy Warren gave a thought provoking address.

Afterwards many went back to the Royal British Legion for refreshments, and I was taken around to meet some of the veterans. One former bomber pilot told me he served for the last three years of the war, flying countless tours; another told me he was one of only 30 survivors of his batallion - and this all happened when they were such young men. To people of my generation and younger it seems like another age ago - only existing in films and old black and white archive footage - so its good to speak to those who were actually there - it makes it more real. I wish all of todays children could have the opportunity to meet with and question these veterans.

No comments: