Friday, November 24, 2006

Christmas Lights Switch on with Theo Walcott


I was a little anxious about this years switch on - not because I'm the Mayor this year, but because it was our first ever Celebrity Switch On, and I knew it would be more crowded than ever.

I didn't meet Theo Walcott until I was on the Kick FM stage at two minutes to five. Chris Rose and Andy Green were getting the crowd going with practice countdowns, and after Theo and I pressed the plunger, Theo threw signed mini footballs out into the crowd - I'd never seen so many people in the market place! I then processed back to the Town Hall with the Town Crier, Mace Bearers, Junior Mayor and Deputy, Chair of West Berks, and Mayor of Hungerford - it was a bit of a squeeze getting through the crowds!

It was good to relax back at the Town Hall, and after a few minutes Theo arrived with his girlfriend, Mum, Dad and brother Ashley (who looks very like Theo). After spending a while introducing Theo to some of the other guests - including the Youth Council members - we adjourned to the Mayors Parlour. I introduced Theo to my Theo, and we took some pictures. Theo also kindly signed an Arsenal Shirt (no 32) for me to auction for my charities at a later date. I was very impressed at the mature way he handled the whole thing, - his whole family were very pleasant, and I am sure they will help him survive the enormous pressures of being a premier league footballer at such a young age.

No comments: